Hersonissos is situated in Heraklion prefecture, so you could visit some of the places of interest in this area.
In Heraklion prefecture you will find numerous archaeological sites of great significance, Knossos being the most brilliant of them. hersonissos pillarIn most archaeological sites you can admire ruins of the Minoan civilization, but there are places with remnants of the Roman era as well. Places you should visit include:
- Knossos (Minoan palace)
- Faistos (Minoan city)
- Gortyna (Roman city)
- Malia (Minoan palace)
- Arhanes (Minoan palace & cemetery)
- Rafkos (Minoan city near Knossos)
Heraklion city hosts two quite interesting museums. First, there is the Heraklion Archaeological Museum which houses priceless works of art of the Minoan civilization. Second, you should visit Heraklion Historical Museum where you can find collections of items from the Byzantine and Medieval eras, from the Cretan revolution, as well as examples of folk art. In the Historical Museum you can also find the sole painting of El Greco in Crete.
Walking around in Heraklion City
Heraklion city is a very old city, bearing the signs of several civilizations that have inhabited it. A wander around the city center or even a day trip to Heraklion is worthwhile. Keep in mind to visit the following:
- The Venetian building Lotzia
- The roman fortress Koula
- The Lions' fountains
- The Medieval walls of Heraklion
- The Basilica of St. Markos
- The Old Gate of the city (Chanioporta) which connects Heraklion to the west part of Crete.
- The Monastery of St. Catherine
- The metropolitan church of St. Minas
- The tomb of Nikos Kazantzakis at Promahonas Martinego
- Several old churches, ramparts, fountains and medieval streets.